Friday, June 7, 2013

nothing tastes better!

I was watching an episode of Jamie's Meals in Minutes, and he took a carton of heavy cream, poured it in his food processor, and out came butter. Simple as that. If I had thought about making homemade butter before watching this, I would've run in the opposite direction. But I thought, "well I can do that!" 

So I went out and bought a food processor. I had been keeping my eyes open for one for a while, so it wasn't just for the butter... but that sure helped me convince CJ I needed one.

After trying it out by making a whole freezer full of good healthy baby food for J, I decided to give the butter a try.

**Disclaimer** the following pictures were taken with my phone, and when I get excited about something, I don't remember to turn it to the proper setting. Hence the orange photos.


 My processor has a liquid fill line, and it can only hold one cup.


I put it on low and went to do something else for a bit.


I'm not sure I had to, but I felt like I had to keep scraping the sides. Do you see the liquid separating from the "butter?"


For some reason I had this nursery rhyme in my head.... "Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey."


Once the food processor started sounding different (think working too hard... but not) I turned it off, and started straining the butter. I just used a piece of paper towel and fine strainer.


This is what was left over!


One cup of cream gets you this much butter. I was a tad disappointed, so the next time I tried two cups (my processor handled it just fine) and it made a good amount.


I wrapped it up in some parchment paper, and put it in the fridge. Apparently only salted butter can stay out of the fridge, so I think next time I'll salt it.



And there you have it! It really was super easy to do. If you don't have a food processor, apparently you can make this in a blender too. Let me know if you try either one!

-j

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would gladly lapped up the remaining cream..... Yay for food experimentation!

Felicia said...

sweet! I will have to try this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...