Thursday, February 2, 2012

From Large Shirt to Baby Skirt


This is something I put together quite a while ago. If I think about it, T wasn't even really sitting up by herself yet, so it was more than a year ago. I found this shirt at Superstore, and loved the pattern and the detailing at the bottom hemline. I knew it would be too big for me, but I bought it anyways, not knowing what I would do with it.



Oh did I mention it was on sale? I love sales.
So here's what I did. I laid the shirt out and kind of eyeballed where I wanted to cut. Then I drew a straight line across with a fabric marker:
 And cut it out:
I folded and pinned (notice I didn't iron first... I'm lazy that way) about 1/2" all the way around the top. Then sewed with a straight stitch.
Next I folded that over about 1" and pinned and sewed in place, using the previous stitch line as my guide. I also left an opening for the elastic.
Again, being the lazy sewer that I am, I just eyeballed about how much elastic I needed and cut it. I wish I could remember how long it was, but like I said, this was over a year ago, and my memory is great, it's just short.
 Pin a safety pin to one end of the elastic and thread it through your channel.
 Once through, lay them together and sew using a zig-zag stitch.
 I usually go crazy with my zig-zag stitching because I don't want the elastic to come undone.
 Cut the ends off, sew the hole shut, and you end up with a super cute skirt for your baby girl!
Isn't she the best? So go get yourself a $3 shirt to make a fun skirt!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

AWESOME! You're so talented

Elaine Robertson said...

you are so creative. I'm jealous. I never would have thought of that in a million years. You have the perfect model too!!

Unknown said...

so cute. I love the bottom detail and the print too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...