Thursday, March 8, 2012

Project Back Room

Our mission is to create a space in our backroom that encompasses two main elements:
1. Coat and shoe storage
2. Laundry facilities
This is going to be an exciting project. And it'll be such a transformation that I can't wait to see it complete. I can't tell you how many mud/laundry room combos I've seen done (mainly on Pinterest), and I'm so excited to try it out myself. And one of the biggest challenges (but probably one of the most exciting parts) is going to be doing it for as cheap as possible. Before I get to the before pictures, let me tell you a bit about this room. In Winnipeg, most older neighborhoods have back lanes, and garages in their backyards. This generally means that most people park their cars in the back of their houses as opposed to front driveways, which means the back door is usually used more often than the front door. Seeing as this house was built in 1924, there is no storage. Well, there wasn't when we moved in. So, one of my main goals for this room is to build get CJ to build a closet for coats, shoes, etc. This room also houses the washer and dryer. I debated moving them to the basement and creating an awesome laundry room down there, but I already got CJ to move the plumbing once, so I figured I'd just let it be. Plus, it's nice to have main floor laundry - I wouldn't want to lug baskets up and down those stairs (see picture below). The stairs to the basement take up about half this room, which I'm not happy about and tried so hard to think of a different configuration. Moving stairs, though, is so expensive, and just not worth it. I'll just have to get my creative cap on and come up with something brilliant.
Alright, enough jabber. On to the pictures. Brace yourself.
Forgot to mention that this room is off the kitchen. With a french door. That you can see right in. So this room has to look fabulous!
 And it definitely doesn't look fabulous now!
I think it's even worse seeing pictures of it because I was just used to it being this way.
Could you imagine falling down these with a load of laundry? Pretty sketchy!

Anyways, the work on this room has already begun, but I want to save "during" and "after" pictures for a big reveal when it's all done. For the time being, take a look at some inspiration pictures:



Stay tuned for the reveal!

-jes

3 comments:

Unknown said...

haha I feel you on being used to your own horrors. I'm so used to my sketchy kitchen but when a guy was taking pictures of it today I cringed on the inside. Even though he was taking pictures for measuring for replacing everything about said horrible kitchen. Also all I could think about was that my hubby would not be pleased if he could see the double sketchiness of the morning's mess all over the counters yet... spent the morning at the dr's lol. Ah, captured forever. At least the top of my fridge is clean.

Kristen said...

encompasses, configuration... jabber. great words! i love the 2nd inspiration shot. can't wait for the 'big reveal!'

Kristen said...

REVEAL IT NOW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...